Diamondback Energy (NASDAQ: FANG ) is one of the largest crude oil and natural gas producers of the Permian Basin—the region that spans between western Texas and southeast New Mexico and accounts for approximately 30% of total domestic oil output. Its strategic positioning and consolidated market share make it a major player in the U.S. energy sector.
Powered by a favorable macro environment for its core business, which includes exploring, developing, and producing oil, gas, and natural gas liquids, the company gained around 59% over the last 12 months, reaching a market cap of $22.4 billion. After reaching an all-time high of $147.99 on Mar. 25, FANG closed Thursday at $127.04.
With a near-perfect InvestingPro financial health score of 4/5 and an extremely attractive valuation, Diamondback Energy fits the bill as a solid name to own amid the current environment.
Diamondback Energy's stock has a comparatively low price-to-earnings (P/E) ratio of 8.2, making it cheaper than other notable names in the thriving energy sector, such as EOG Resources (NYSE: EOG ), Pioneer Natural Resources (NYSE: PXD ), Devon Energy (NYSE: DVN ), and Continental Resources (NYSE: CLR ).
Pro also highlights several additional tailwinds the energy company currently has, including solid earnings and cash flow growth, allowing management to continue to return capital to shareholders in the form of higher dividend payouts and stock buybacks.
Indeed, the oil-and-gas company offers a relatively high annualized dividend of $2.80 per share at a yield of 2.24%, more than the implied yield for the S&P 500, currently at 1.55%.
Not surprisingly, Diamondback's stock could see an additional upside of approximately 62% in the next 12 months, according to the Investing Pro model, bringing it closer to its fair value of $205.76 per share.
Analysts are also optimistic about the company's long-term perspectives, citing strong energy market fundamentals. The average analyst price target is $178.79, representing an upside of 40.7% from current levels.
The current market makes it harder than ever to make the right decisions. Think about the challenges:
- Geopolitical turmoil
- Disruptive technologies
- Interest rate hikes
To handle them, you need good data, effective tools to sort through the data, and insights into what it all means. You need to take emotion out of investing and focus on the fundamentals.
For that, there’s InvestingPro+, with all the professional data and tools you need to make better investing decisions. Learn More »
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.