Two weeks ago, see here, we found for the Nasdaq 100 using the Elliott Wave Principle (EWP) that based on a standard Fibonacci-based impulse pattern, the index was most likely working on a five-wave move lower to ideally $14435-14500 as long as it stayed below $15600.
So far, so good, as the index bottomed out last week at $14432 and has staged a rally since into today’s high. The question is: has the index bottomed, and is a rally to $16100+ underway? The answers we seek lie, as always, in the price chart. See Figure 1 below.
Figure 1. NASDAQ 100 daily resolution chart with technical indicators and detailed EWP count.As you can see, a lot can happen in two weeks, and it pays to stay informed more frequently than once every other week because the index presented us with an extended grey W-iii. What does that mean? Typically, a 3rd wave seeks out the 1.382-1.681x extension of the 1st wave, measured from the 2nd wave low; grey W-i and -ii in this case. That would have targeted $14600-700. However, the markets do not owe us anything; we got a ~2.236x W-1 extension at the $14432 low. There is no alarm because wave extensions can always happen but cannot be known beforehand. The infamous “known unknown” [D. Rumsfeld].
The green (arrows) W-c = W-a extension targets $14238, and the grey W-v target zone is now $14245-485. Thus, we have even better Fib-confluence at
“The low $14Ks” we forecasted a month ago would be reached on “a break below the green W-1 high at $15277”
In the meantime, the index should have completed the grey W-iv and ideally be at the start of the grey W-v. A break below last week’s low will confirm grey W-v. However, if the index breaks out above today’s high, then grey W-iv is becoming aberrant, and we should expect the index to reach the high $14000s to low $15000s before the countdown for W-v starts over. For now, our preferred path, as postulated two weeks ago, is:
“The completion of the red W-iv as an expanded flat, with green W-c underway. As stated, C-waves in a flat comprise five waves. Thus, grey W-iii, iv, and v of W-c of W-iv should commence soon” has filled in nicely and only grey W-v is most likely left.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.