Think Daily: Tuesday’s trading session
In Tuesday’s trading session in the local markets, the
closed the day down by 0.12%. The Resources 10 sector went down by 1.24%, the
went up by 0.21%, the
went up by 0.61% and lastly the
South African Listed Property index
down by 0.3%.
The Rand traded at R15.03 against the United States Dollar, R20.39 against the Great British Pound , and R17.42 against the Euro . In yesterday’s trading session, the share price for Telkom (JO: TKGJ ) and Northam (JO: NHMJ ) Platinum plunged by north of 10%. A 12.14% drop in the share price for Telkom signals that investors were not happy with the results reported yesterday. As for Northam Platinum (JO: NPHJ ), the share price tumbled by 15.43% after Royal Bafokeng Platinum (JO: RBPCBe ) had announced that they are no longer going to go through with the Impala Platinum (JO: IMPJ ) buy out and choosing to go with Northam platinum for a 33% stake deal.
This morning, Vodacom has announced that the company would like to acquire a 30% stake in a new entity, InfraCo, made up of assets including Vumatel and Dark Fibre Africa. Vodacom has also agreed to buy a majority stake in Vodafone (LON: VOD ) Egypt from its U.K. parent for $2.7 billion. And lastly, Transaction Capital (JO: TCPJ ) and Life Healthcare Group (JO: LHCJ ) released a trading statement for the companies' full-year results.
Figure 1: Northam Platinum's one week chart
On the commodities front, the Brent Crude oil is trading at $85.20 a barrel and WTI Crude oil is traded at $84.28 a barrel. Gold Spot price is currently trading at $1825.17; Platinum Spot is now trading at $1057.51 and lastly, Palladium Spot price is at $2039.97. As for the oil price surged after preliminary data showed an unexpected decline in US crude stocks last week coupled with a rebound in fuel demand amid easing travel curbs. This is despite warnings from the US government that it will use all available tools to fight higher prices.
Across the globe, yesterday, the S&P 500 closed the day down 0.42%, Dow Jones closed down 0.49% and the Nasdaq had a 0.56% dip. The FTSE 100 closed up 0.36% and the DAX was up 0.04% and CAC40 was up 0.06%. Whereas for the Asian markets, the Nikkei is currently down 0.61% and the Hang Seng is currently up 0.63%. U.S markets, the S&P 500 dropped for the first time in nine sessions and Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA ) Inc.'s lost $199 billion in value amid a range of negative headlines.
Elsewhere, the October producer price index came in line with forecasts but showed continued input price increases. Bitcoin and Ethereum reached new record highs on Tuesday as global inflation fears and U.S. CPI numbers will be announced today at 15:30 local time. Walt Disney (NYSE: DIS ) is also expected to release the company’s financial results
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or