By Scott Kanowsky
Investing.com -- Shares in Adidas AG (ETR: ADSGN ) moved higher on Tuesday after analysts at Berenberg upgraded their rating of the German sportswear group to buy from hold, saying the company can become an "exciting multi-year turnaround story."
Earlier this month, the Germany-based business warned of a steep potential loss in 2023 due to its decision to break ties with Ye over a series of controversial comments made by the rapper.
In a statement, Adidas flagged that if it decides not to repurpose any of its "Yeezy"-branded products going forward, the remaining unsold inventory will be written off, lowering operating profit by €500 million (€1 = $1.0612) and revenue by around €1.2B in its current financial year. Meanwhile, it expects to be hit by one-off costs of up to €200M as part of a wider review of its operations.
Adidas subsequently predicted that it could now report an annual operating loss of €700M, while currency-neutral sales are seen declining at a high-single-digit rate this year. On an underlying basis, operating profit is forecast to be "around the break-even level."
But analysts at Berenberg argued that this guidance, issued under new Chief Executive Officer Bjørn Gulden, appears to be a "kitchen sink" exercise that gives the firm a clean base to operate from heading into a major sports event year in 2024. The 2024 Summer Olympics in Paris, as well as the UEFA Euro soccer championship in Germany, are among the key events on the sporting calendar next year.
The Berenberg analysts added that it expects Adidas to have the right strategy, investment and execution in 2023.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.