Allianz Tanks As DoJ Starts Probe, Insurer Warns Of Impact
By Dhirendra Tripathi
Investing.com – Allianz (DE: ALVG ) stock fell 7% in Frankfurt as the U.S. Department Of Justice initiated a probe into allegations it had failed to safeguard pension money belonging to truck drivers, teachers, subway workers and various other classes during the pandemic.
The German insurer said its management has concluded there is a relevant risk that the issue could materially impact financial results of Allianz.
Lawsuits in the U.S. allege that Allianz Global Investors, in its Structured Alpha family of funds, strayed from a strategy of using options to protect against a short-term financial market crash.
Panic selling in the wake of the pandemic in February and March last year hit many investors.
Together, the various suits filed in the U.S. Southern (NYSE: SO ) District of New York claim investors lost a total of around $4 billion, according to Reuters.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or