Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN ), the technology giant, announced on Monday a significant investment of up to $4 billion in artificial intelligence (AI) startup Anthropic. This strategic move is seen as Amazon's effort to maintain competitiveness with other tech giants in the rapidly evolving AI sector.
Anthropic, founded in 2021 by Dario and Daniela Amodei, former employees of OpenAI, recently launched its AI assistant named Claude. This new product is viewed as a competitor to ChatGPT, a creation of OpenAI.
In addition to the financial investment, the deal also includes Amazon acquiring a minority stake in Anthropic. Moreover, Amazon's cloud customers are set to gain early access to Anthropic's technology through Amazon Bedrock, the company's AI platform for businesses.
Amazon confirmed that Anthropic would leverage Amazon Web Services (AWS) proprietary chips to develop, train, and deploy its AI software. AWS will serve as the primary cloud provider for Anthropic.
This investment echoes similar strategies adopted by other tech titans such as Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT ) and Google (NASDAQ: GOOGL ). Over several years, Microsoft has invested multi-billion dollars in OpenAI. Google is also an investor in Anthropic, further highlighting the competitive race for AI dominance.
The rapid growth of the AI industry is unmistakable and Amazon's hefty investment in Anthropic underscores its resolve not to be left behind by competitors like Microsoft. This move represents another step in Amazon's continuous expansion into the increasingly competitive AI sector.
This article was generated with the support of AI and reviewed by an editor. For more information see our T&C.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.