By Christiana Sciaudone
Investing.com -- Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN ) sent shudders throughout the world of healthcare after announcing a pharmacy business.
Amazon Pharmacy will fill and receive prescriptions like they would any order. For those without insurance, the company will provide savings benefits for Prime members of up to 80% off of generic and 40% off of brand name medications.
Using a secure pharmacy profile, Amazon customers can add insurance information, manage prescriptions, and choose payment options before checking out. Prime members also get savings at over 50,000 other participating pharmacies nationwide.
“We work hard behind the scenes to handle complications seamlessly so anyone who needs a prescription can understand their options, place their order for the lowest available price, and have their medication delivered quickly," said TJ Parker, vice president of Amazon Pharmacy.
Amazon has operated PillPack for six years. The service provides medication for individuals with chronic health conditions.
Goodrx Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: GDRX ), which went public in September, offers telemedicine services, tracks prescription drug prices and offers coupons for discounts on medications. Shares jumped 50% on the first day of trading from the opening price of $33. The stock is up 16% since the company went public.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.