AstraZeneca Unveils $1.27B Purchase of U.S. Biotech Firm TeneoTwo
By Scott Kanowsky
Investing.com -- AstraZeneca (NASDAQ: AZN ) has announced that it plans to acquire U.S. oncology firm TeneoTwo in a deal worth up to $1.27B, as the British-based pharmaceutical company looks to expand its cancer treatment pipeline.
In a statement, AstraZeneca said the purchase will be focused on a molecule made by TeneoTwo that is designed to encourage the body's immune system to target and kill cancer cells. AstraZeneca aims to develop this into a potential new medicine for patients suffering from blood cancers like non-Hodgkin lymphoma.
"We believe this innovative molecule, which was designed to optimise the therapeutic window of T-cell activation, will enable us to explore novel combinations that have the potential to become new standards of care in this setting,” said Anas Younes, Senior Vice President Hematology R&D at AstraZeneca.
The deal will see AstraZeneca acquire all outstanding equity of TeneoTwo in exchange for an upfront payment of $100M. The company will then make additional payments of $805M and $360M based on the progress of the molecule's development.
The transaction, which still needs regulatory approval, is expected to close in the third quarter of this year. AstraZeneca added that it does expect the acquisition to impact its 2022 guidance.
London-listed shares in AstraZeneca (LON: AZN ) were slightly higher in late morning trading, following the announcement.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or