By Oliver Gray
Investing.com - The S&P/ASX 200 was down just 4.7 points or 0.1% to 7452.2 during Monday’s trade, following gains of 1.8% in the previous week as gains in mining and energy companies offset losses in healthcare and financials.
Among stocks, Gold miners gained as a weaker Greenback pushed gold prices higher. Newcrest Mining Ltd (ASX: NCM ) added 1.2%, Northern Star Resources Ltd (ASX: NST ) added 3.33% Evolution Mining Ltd (ASX: EVN ) added 4.03%. Energy companies also moved higher amid stronger crude oil prices, with Santos Ltd (ASX: STO ) adding 3.07%, Oil Search Ltd (ASX: OSH ) up 2.13%, Woodside Petroleum Ltd (ASX: WPL ) gaining 2.97% and Beach Energy Ltd (ASX: BPT ) up 4.3%. Iron ore heavyweights also closed in the green, with Rio Tinto Ltd (ASX: RIO ) up 0.38%, BHP Billiton Ltd (ASX: BHP ) adding 0.8% and Fortescue Metals Group Ltd (ASX: FMG ) lifting 0.42%. Stanmore Coal (ASX: SMR ) gained 14.01% after announcing a deal to buy metallurgical coal assets from BHP (ASX: BHP ) for $A1.35 billion. Meantime, some financial stocks closed lower as they traded ex-divended, with Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Ltd (ASX: ANZ ) down 1.56% and Macquarie Group Ltd (ASX: MQG ) down 0.75%. Healthcare companies also fell with CSL Ltd (ASX: CSL ) down 0.76%, Sonic Healthcare Ltd (ASX: SHL ) falling 2.2% and Clinuvel Pharmaceuticals Ltd (ASX: CUV ) plunging 8.31%.
In New Zealand, the NZX 50 fell 34.53 points or 0.26% to 13041.3.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.