ASX 200 Down 1%, Finishes the Week 1.4% Higher
By Oliver Gray
Investing.com - The S&P/ASX 200 lost 71.20 points or 0.98% to 7,217.30 during Friday’s trade, as market participants retreated following shock U.S. inflation numbers overnight, rising at the quickest pace in 40 years, causing global markets to decline while long term bond yields spiked.
Among stocks, Technology companies suffered the greatest losses, down 3.8% as Block Inc (ASX: SQ2 ) shed 6.68%, Zip Co Ltd (ASX: Z1P ) fell 7.17%, Appen Ltd (ASX: APX ) lost 6.34%, Megaport Ltd (ASX: MP1 ) dipped 6.48%, Novonix Ltd (ASX: NVX ) lost 4.55%, Brainchip Holdings Ltd (ASX: BRN ) fell 2.7%, Altium Ltd (ASX: ALU ) lost 5.43%, Xero Ltd (ASX: XRO ) shed 4.51% and Wisetech Global Ltd (ASX: WTC ) dipped 3.4%.
Financials finished 0.52% lower overall as Macquarie Group Ltd (ASX: MQG ) lost 0.06%, Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Ltd (ASX: ANZ ) lifted 0.4%, National Australia Bank Ltd (ASX: NAB ) gained 0.57%, Westpac Banking Corp (ASX: WBC ) added 0.71% while Commonwealth Bank Of Australia (ASX: CBA ) dipped 2.21%.
Materials bucked the trend, up 0.33% as Rio Tinto Ltd (ASX: RIO ) added 2.86%, BHP Billiton Ltd (ASX: BHP ) gained 1.2%, Fortescue Metals Group Ltd (ASX: FMG ) added 2.47% and Champion Iron Ltd (ASX: CIA ) gained 0.85%, while Pilbara Minerals Ltd (ASX: PLS ) dipped 4.17%, Arizona Lithium Ltd (ASX: AZL ) lost 6.45%, Lake Resources NL (ASX: LKE ) dipped 4.74% and Lynas Rare Earths Ltd (ASX: LYC ) lost 2.83%.
In policy news, Reserve Bank of Australia governor Philip Lowe reiterated today that an interest rate rise in 2022 is "plausible", noting that "A couple more (quarterly) CPI's would be good to see" before pulling the trigger.
Lowe also warned that raising the cash rate too early from its record low of 0.1% could jeopardize an expected decline in the unemployment rate below 4% in the coming year.
On the bond markets, Australia 10-Year rates were near fresh 3-year highs of 2.2% while United States 10-Year yields were at 31-month highs of 2.035%.
In New Zealand, the NZX 50 was down 1.93% to 12,174.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or