By Oliver Gray
Investing.com - The S&P/ASX 200 dipped 40.7 points or 0.54% to 7491.2 on Thursday, declining for the first time in three sessions as investors digested a slew of corporate earnings results.
In coronavirus news, New South Wales marked a fresh daily record of 1029 cases today with officials moving to ease outdoor gathering restrictions as vaccination rates continue to soar. Victoria tallied 80 cases with 41 people among the community while infectious. In the ACT, 14 locally acquired cases were reported with only one case infectious while in the community. Queensland reported zero fresh cases after authorities paused instate hotspot arrivals for a two-week period yesterday as the state’s hotel quarantine system is stretched to the limit.
Among stocks, travel-related companies performed well as Flight Centre Ltd (ASX: FLT ) lifted 3.79% after reporting results , while Qantas Airways Ltd (ASX: QAN ) also added 3.49% after earnings . Meantime, A2 Milk Company Ltd (ASX: A2M ) fell 9.6% as chief executive David Bortolussi announced a strategic review of its Chinese sales amid a plunge in full-year earnings . Appen Ltd (ASX: APX ) led losses during regular trade, falling 21.42% following disappointing earnings results . Mining stocks also traded lower with Rio Tinto Ltd (ASX: RIO ), BHP Billiton Ltd (ASX: BHP ) and Fortescue Metals Group Ltd (ASX: FMG ) falling 1.39%, 1.17% and 1.38% respectively.
In New Zealand, the NZX 50 lost 152.99 points or 1.16% to 13051.62, retreating from 6-month highs touched in the previous session.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.