By Oliver Gray
Investing.com - The ASX 200 closed higher on Monday, adding 9.90 points or 0.27% to 7,513.70 and closing near fresh 13-week highs amid strong gains from utility companies, while the materials sector was buoyed as commodity prices remained strong.
Miners put in a solid performance as Rio Tinto Ltd (ASX: RIO ) added 0.3%, BHP Billiton Ltd (ASX: BHP ) gained 0.1%, Fortescue Metals Group Ltd (ASX: FMG ) added 3%, Pilbara Minerals Ltd (ASX: PLS ) increased 5.5%, Arizona Lithium Ltd (ASX: AZL ) rallied 33.3% and Liontown Resources Ltd (ASX: LTR ) popped 9%. Gold miners also rose with St Barbara Ltd (ASX: SBM ) up 1.1%, Newcrest Mining Ltd (ASX: NCM ) adding 0.9%, Perseus Mining Ltd (ASX: PRU ) up 2.2%, Mineral Resources Ltd (ASX: MIN ) up 3.4% and Chalice Gold Mines Ltd (ASX: CHN ) gaining 4%
Financials retreated 0.3% as Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Ltd (ASX: ANZ ) fell 0.2%, National Australia Bank Ltd (ASX: NAB ) lost 0.8%, Westpac Banking Corp (ASX: WBC ) fell 0.2% and Commonwealth Bank Of Australia (ASX: CBA ) lost 0.77%.
In New Zealand, the NZX 50 dipped 0.3% to 12,053.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.