By Oliver Gray
Investing.com - The S&P/ASX 200 finished Monday’s session lower, down 36.30 points or 0.51% to 7,139.50, extending last week’s declines of 2.9% and trading at 7-month lows as investors remained cautious amid fears of surging inflation and an aggressive policy tightening forecast at the U.S. Federal Reserve.
Among stocks, Technology companies saw the largest selloff, down 1.73% as Novonix Ltd (ASX: NVX ) dropped 6.68% and Brainchip Holdings Ltd (ASX: BRN ) lost 5.7%, while Xero Ltd (ASX: XRO ) fell 2.38%, Computershare Ltd. (ASX: CPU ) lost 2.38% and Appen Ltd (ASX: APX ) dragged 2.37%.
Materials also fell as Rio Tinto Ltd (ASX: RIO ) dipped 0.7%, BHP Billiton Ltd (ASX: BHP ) eased 0.22%, Fortescue Metals Group Ltd (ASX: FMG ) shed 2.01%, Pilbara Minerals Ltd (ASX: PLS ) lost 2.53%, Arizona Lithium Ltd (ASX: AZL ) fell 3.03%, Lake Resources NL (ASX: LKE ) dropped 5.32%, Avz Minerals Ltd (ASX: AVZ ) fell 2.01%, Lynas Rare Earths Ltd (ASX: LYC ) shed 4.65% and Magnis Resources Ltd (ASX: MNS ) lost 6.25%.
Airline stocks suffered losses as Qantas Airways Ltd (ASX: QAN ) lost 1.43%, Flight Centre Ltd (ASX: FLT ) dipped 1.49%, Webjet Ltd (ASX: WEB ) lost 2.95% and Sydney Airport Holdings Ltd (ASX: SYD ) eased 0.12%.
Regis Resources Ltd (ASX: RRL ) fell 14% after slashing production guidance due to an 800 tonne rockfall in its Rosemount main pit in Western Australia’s Goldfields region.
Financials were also lower as Macquarie Group Ltd (ASX: MQG ) eased 0.35%, Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Ltd (ASX: ANZ ) lost 1.21%, National Australia Bank Ltd (ASX: NAB ) fell 0.53%, Westpac Banking Corp (ASX: WBC ) lost 0.86%, while Commonwealth Bank Of Australia (ASX: CBA ) added 0.07%.
Real estate stocks proved to be a bright spot, as Charter Hall Group (ASX: CHC ) added 1.2%, Goodman Group (ASX: GMG ) gained 3.54%, Stockland Corporation Ltd (ASX: SGP ) added 0.5% and Lend Lease Group (ASX: LLC ) lifted 1.87%.
Wireless broadband provider Uniti Group Inc (NASDAQ: UNIT ) also popped 9.28% after revealing that the company has received multiple take-over offers in recent months.
In New Zealand, the NZX 50 dropped 1.47% to 12,166, trading 11% below its last record high set in January 2021.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.