By Oliver Gray
Investing.com - The S&P/ASX 200 added 22.80 points or 0.32% to 7,234 during Wednesday’s session, partially retracing losses of 1% in the previous session as gains among Telecommunication , Financials and Industrials outweighed losses in Utilities and Information Technology .
Major bankers lifted with Macquarie Group Ltd (ASX: MQG ) added 1.3%, Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Ltd (ASX: ANZ ) up 1.1%, National Australia Bank Ltd (ASX: NAB ) lifting 0.9%, Westpac Banking Corp (ASX: WBC ) up 1% and Commonwealth Bank Of Australia (ASX: CBA ) gaining 2.3%.
Industrials gained 1.2% collectively as Auckland International Airport Ltd (ASX: AIA ) added 2.7%, Reece Ltd (ASX: REH ) lifted 0.8%, Transurban Group (ASX: TCL ) added 2.4% and Brambles Ltd (ASX: BXB ) gained 0.8%.
Utilities dipped 5.3% overall, as Origin Energy Ltd (ASX: ORG ) tanked 13.7% after the company withdrew earnings guidance amid soaring coal prices. Meridian Energy Ltd (ASX: MEZ ) dipped 2.6%, Genesis Energy Ltd (ASX: GNE ) fell 1.2% and AGL Energy Ltd (ASX: AGL ) eased 0.5%.
Information Technology also eased 1.5% as Block Inc (ASX: SQ2 ) fell 4.3%, Appen Ltd (ASX: APX ) lost 2.2%, Megaport Ltd (ASX: MP1 ) fell 4.9%, Novonix Ltd (ASX: NVX ) shed 12.7% and Xero Ltd (ASX: XRO ) dipped 2.2%.
In New Zealand, the NZX 50 added 0.6% to 11,373.2.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.