By Oliver Gray
Investing.com - The S&P/ASX 200 traded 14.1 points or 0.19% lower to 7411.1 early in Tuesday’s session following slight gains of 0.25% yesterday as mixed performances from heavyweight mining and financial stocks sapped investors’ risk appetite.
In coronavirus news, Victoria tallied 445 fresh cases today, following yesterday’s yearly high of 473 as infection rates continue to accelerate. Of the local cases, 129 are linked to known cases and outbreaks. Meantime, New South Wales added 1127 cases after health authorities announced that the local government area of Yass Valley would re-enter lockdown for two weeks from Tuesday after a local case was detected.
Among stocks, miners were mixed with Rio Tinto Ltd (ASX: RIO ) adding 0.41%, BHP Billiton Ltd (ASX: BHP ) down 0.12% and Fortescue Metals Group Ltd (ASX: FMG ) falling 1.52% as Iron ore prices moved lower overnight. Meantime, Westpac Banking Corp (ASX: WBC ) has confirmed that the sale of its Pacific businesses has been blocked by local regulators. Energy stocks bucked the trend with Oil Search Ltd (ASX: OSH ) adding 4.28% and Santos Ltd (ASX: STO ) lifting 4.21% after their recent A$21 billion merger deal.
Later in the week, investors will be closely monitoring local employment figures, with expectations of a loss of 90k jobs amid protracted lockdown conditions across the country.
In New Zealand, the NZX 50 lost 85.58 points or 0.65% to 13092.89.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.