By Oliver Gray
Investing.com - The S&P/ASX 200 gained 20.00 points or 0.27% to 7,454.20 on Wednesday retracing losses of 0.24% in the previous session, lifted by recovering financials, while higher precious metal prices also boosted silver and gold miners.
ASX 200 Futures were 0.1% lower at 7434.5.
Among stocks, Pushpay Holdings Ltd (ASX: PPH ) plummeted 17.3% after reporting disappointing half year results and a downgrade of its outlook. Oil Search Ltd (ASX: OSH ) and Santos Ltd (ASX: STO ) fell 0.7% and 0.58% respectively, after adjusting their merger timetable following a request from the Papua New Guinea National Court. Other energy companies also fell, with Beach Energy Ltd (ASX: BPT ) down 1.15% and Woodside Petroleum Ltd (ASX: WPL ) falling 0.65%. Precious metal miners gained, with Silver Lake Resources Ltd (ASX: SLR ) adding 2.01%, Evolution Mining Ltd (ASX: EVN ) up 2.16%, Northern Star Resources Ltd (ASX: NST ) up 0.69% while Chalice Mining lifted 13.56%, extending yesterday’s surge following an announcement regarding a mineral deposit in Western Australia. Meantime, iron ore heavyweights fell, with Rio Tinto Ltd (ASX: RIO ) down 1.17%, BHP Billiton Ltd (ASX: BHP ) losing 1.42% and Fortescue Metals Group Ltd (ASX: FMG ) falling 1.58%.
Among data, the Westpac-Melbourne Institute Index of Consumer Sentiment fell by 1.5% for the month of October as persistent worries over the longer-term outlook for the economy overshadowed relief from the loosening of COVID-19 restrictions.
In New Zealand, the NZX 50 was down 0.62% to 13009.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.