By Oliver Gray
Investing.com - The S&P/ASX 200 dipped 85.00 points or 1.18% to 7,120.60 during Monday’s deals, extending losses of 3.3% last week and closing at fresh 2-month lows as the prospect of rising interest rates both locally and abroad sapped risk sentiment while continued supply concerns due to China’s lockdowns also kept investors on the back foot.
Among stocks, real estate companies were hardest hit, down 4.2% as Mirvac Group (ASX: MGR ) fell 4.4%, Charter Hall Group (ASX: CHC ) lost 4.2%, Goodman Group (ASX: GMG ) shed 7% and Scentre Group Ltd (ASX: SCG ) lost 3.6%.
Information Technology fell 3.2% as Block Inc (ASX: SQ2 ) fell 6.2%, Megaport Ltd (ASX: MP1 ) lost 8.6%, Novonix Ltd (ASX: NVX ) shed 12.3%, Xero Ltd (ASX: XRO ) dipped 2.6% and Wisetech Global Ltd (ASX: WTC ) lost 4.9%.
Materials finished 2.1% lower as iron ore prices fell, with Rio Tinto Ltd (ASX: RIO ) down 2.3%, BHP Billiton Ltd (ASX: BHP ) falling 1.3%, Fortescue Metals Group Ltd (ASX: FMG ) losing 5.8% and Champion Iron Ltd (ASX: CIA ) declining 4.6%.
Meantime, Magellan Financial Group Ltd (ASX: MFG ) dived 8.4% after announcing it is selling its stake in Mexican chain Guzman y Gomez, while Westpac Banking Corp (ASX: WBC ) advanced 3.2% the company’s first-half profit beat expectations and Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Ltd (ASX: ANZ ) dropped 2.7% as it traded ex-dividend.
In New Zealand, the NZX 50 shed 2% to 11,382.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.