By Oliver Gray
Investing.com - The S&P/ASX 200 moved 14.40 points or 0.19% to 7,583.60 higher after the first hour of trade, as market participants monitored a mixed session among U.S. equities overnight as corporate earnings heat up.
ASX 200 Futures were pointing 0.2% lower.
Energy companies also gained 1.2% collectively, as Woodside Petroleum Ltd (ASX: WPL ) added 1.6%, Beach Energy Ltd (ASX: BPT ) gained 2.1% and Viva Energy Group Ltd (ASX: VEA ) lifted 2.1%. Santos Ltd (ASX: STO ) gained 1% after the company said in an update on Thursday increased sales revenue 25 per cent over the March quarter, as “stronger commodity prices combined with higher sales volumes delivered record quarterly sales revenue.”
Financials were about 1% higher, with Macquarie Group Ltd (ASX: MQG ) adding 1.3%, Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Ltd (ASX: ANZ ) up 0.7%, National Australia Bank Ltd (ASX: NAB ) gaining 0.6% and Westpac Banking Corp (ASX: WBC ) lifting 1%.
Meanwhile, Information Technology slumped 2.4%, with Block Inc (ASX: SQ2 ) down 6.8%, Appen Ltd (ASX: APX ) down 0.6%, Novonix Ltd (ASX: NVX ) falling 2.3%, Xero Ltd (ASX: XRO ) down 2.1%, while Megaport Ltd (ASX: MP1 ) shed 14.6% after issuing a trading update. Zip Co Ltd (ASX: Z1P ) also fell 3.6% as credit losses increased to outside the target range, prompting the company to tighten risk settings on lending.
In New Zealand, the NZX 50 was little changed at 11,963.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.