By Oliver Gray
Investing.com - The S&P/ASX 200 fell 10.30 points or 0.14% to 7,423.90, retreating from early gains to extend losses for the second consecutive session as Wall Street indices eased from record highs overnight amid increasing inflationary fears, while the heavyweight mining sector also dipped as iron ore prices fell to 12-month lows.
Among stocks, Commonwealth Bank Of Australia (ASX: CBA ) added 0.8%, National Australia Bank Ltd (ASX: NAB ) added 4.15%, Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Ltd (ASX: ANZ ) added 0.57% and Westpac Banking Corp (ASX: WBC ) lifted 0.98%. Precious metal miners also closed higher, as Gold traded near 2-month highs after U.S. inflation worries lifted its safe-haven appeal. Silver Lake Resources Ltd (ASX: SLR ) adding 2.01%, Evolution Mining Ltd (ASX: EVN ) up 0.51%, Northern Star Resources Ltd (ASX: NST ) up 0.1%, while Gold explorer Resolute Mining Ltd climbed 2.33% and Alkane Resources Ltd advanced 0.54%.
In New Zealand, the NZX 50 was up 0.38% to 13091.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.