By Oliver Gray
Investing.com - Australian shares fell 59.40 points or 0.82% to 7,174.20 in Tuesday’s midday deals, amid souring risk sentiment as investors eyed an evolving situation in Ukraine as Russian President Vladimir V. Putin signed a decree that allowed troops to enter Donetsk and Luhansk for “peacekeeping functions,” while the U.S. and E.U. began imposing sanctions.
ASX 200 Futures were 0.04% higher.
Among stocks, local investors were tracking a fresh batch of corporate earnings, with Costa Group Holdings Ltd (ASX: CGC ) up 6% after reporting an annual 16.2% increase in profits, while Coles Group Ltd (ASX: COL ) lifted 0.8% as results showed that half-year revenues increased by 1%, with profits down 2%.
Meantime, Hearing implant marker Cochlear Ltd (ASX: COH ) lifted 4.5% after announcing a 35% increase in its half-year dividend, while Alumina Ltd (ASX: AWC ) lost 0.5% despite a 28% surge in statutory profits.
Among sectors, Technology fell 3.23% as Block Inc (ASX: SQ2 ) dropped 6.58%, Zip Co Ltd (ASX: Z1P ) fell 7.17%, Appen Ltd (ASX: APX ) lost 2.7%, Megaport Ltd (ASX: MP1 ) fell 3.38%, Novonix Ltd (ASX: NVX ) lost 5.23%, Brainchip Holdings Ltd (ASX: BRN ) dipped 4.25% and Wisetech Global Ltd (ASX: WTC ) lost 4.53%.
Financials were 1.4% lower with Macquarie Group Ltd (ASX: MQG ) down 1.5%, Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Ltd (ASX: ANZ ) falling 0.89%, National Australia Bank Ltd (ASX: NAB ) losing 1.53%, Westpac Banking Corp (ASX: WBC ) down 0.71% and Commonwealth Bank Of Australia (ASX: CBA ) dropping 1.93%.
Materials also dragged about 0.7% with Rio Tinto Ltd (ASX: RIO ) down 0.97%, BHP Billiton Ltd (ASX: BHP ) falling 0.77%, Fortescue Metals Group Ltd (ASX: FMG ) down 0.76%, Pilbara Minerals Ltd (ASX: PLS ) down 0.137%, Arizona Lithium Ltd (ASX: AZL ) falling 5.93% Avz Minerals Ltd (ASX: AVZ ) down 4.4% and Lake Resources NL (ASX: LKE ) shedding 3.21%.
However, some gold miners lifted as prices remain elevated. Gold Road Resources Ltd (ASX: GOR ) added 1.01%, Newcrest Mining Ltd (ASX: NCM ) was up 1.51%, Northern Star Resources Ltd (ASX: NST ) added 4.22% and Evolution Mining Ltd (ASX: EVN ) gained 2.13%.
In New Zealand, the NZX 50 was just 0.07% higher at 12,164.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.