By Oliver Gray
Investing.com - The S&P/ASX 200 fell 51.6 points or 0.8% to 6,634.4 after the first hour of Wednesday’s trade, extending losses for the 4th consecutive session and trading at 15-month lows as bond yields moved higher following hawkish comments from Reserve Bank of Australia policymakers yesterday.
ASX 200 Futures were trading flat at 6,523.5.
Among stocks, Health Care companies declined 2.4% collectively, with CSL Ltd (ASX: CSL ) down 2%, Fisher & Paykel Healthcare Ltd (ASX: FPH ) falling 4.2%, Resmed Inc (ASX: RMD ) dipping 1.8% and Cochlear Ltd (ASX: COH ) falling 3.7%.
Information Technology fell 1.8% overall with Block Inc (ASX: SQ2 ) falling 5.4%, Appen Ltd (ASX: APX ) down 3.5%, Megaport Ltd (ASX: MP1 ) dipping 7%, Novonix Ltd (ASX: NVX ) falling 7.7% and Brainchip Holdings Ltd (ASX: BRN ) down 4.8%.
Energy companies were down 1.1% with Woodside Energy Ltd (ASX: WDS ) dipping 1.7%, Santos Ltd (ASX: STO ) falling 0.6%, Beach Energy Ltd (ASX: BPT ) down 1.3% and Viva Energy Group Ltd (ASX: VEA ) falling 0.9%.
Financials were 0.2% lower overall with Macquarie Group Ltd (ASX: MQG ) up 2.4%, Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Ltd (ASX: ANZ ) down 0.4%, National Australia Bank Ltd (ASX: NAB ) up 0.6% and Commonwealth Bank Of Australia (ASX: CBA ) down 0.3%.
In New Zealand, the NZX 50 was 0.5% lower at 10,593.5.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.