By Oliver Gray
Investing.com - The S&P/ASX 200 fell 0.6% or 41.1 points to 6433.4 during Monday’s deals, extending declines for the 7th consecutive session and closing at fresh 16-month lows as commodity prices such as iron ore and copper retreated on global growth concerns, weighing down the energy and materials sectors.
Among stocks, Woodside Energy Ltd (ASX: WDS ) fell 4.9%, Santos Ltd (ASX: STO ) lost 6%, Beach Energy Ltd (ASX: BPT ) dipped 8.3% and Viva Energy Group Ltd (ASX: VEA ) fell 2.9% as crude oil prices moved lower.
Mining heavyweights suffered as Rio Tinto Ltd (ASX: RIO ) dropped 5.1%, BHP Billiton Ltd (ASX: BHP ) lost 5.3%, Fortescue Metals Group Ltd (ASX: FMG ) dipped 8.6% and Champion Iron Ltd (ASX: CIA ) lost 11.9%.
Meantime, Real Estate stocks gained 3.8% with Goodman Group (ASX: GMG ) adding 3.4%, Charter Hall Group (ASX: CHC ) gaining 2.8%, Stockland Corporation Ltd (ASX: SGP ) up 4.2% and Scentre Group Ltd (ASX: SCG ) adding 4.8%.
In New Zealand, the NZX 50 finished flat at 10,588.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.