By Oliver Gray
Investing.com - The S&P/ASX 200 fell 49.3 points or 0.7% to 7,105.9 during Thursday’s trading session, erasing yesterday’s advance of 0.4% as investors continued to remain cautious amid the prospect of slowing global growth.
Among stocks, Consumer Staples led the broader market lower, down 2.5% with Woolworths Ltd (ASX: WOW ) falling 2.6%, Graincorp Ltd (ASX: GNC ) down 3.5%, Coles Group Ltd (ASX: COL ) falling 2.2% and Endeavour Group Ltd (ASX: EDV ) shedding 6%.
Materials fell 1% collectively with Rio Tinto Ltd (ASX: RIO ) down 1.1%, BHP Billiton Ltd (ASX: BHP ) falling 0.9%, Fortescue Metals Group Ltd (ASX: FMG ) dipping 3.7% and Champion Iron Ltd (ASX: CIA ) down 2.3%.
Financials dipped 0.4% with Macquarie Group Ltd (ASX: MQG ) down 0.3%, Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Ltd (ASX: ANZ ) falling 0.4%, National Australia Bank Ltd (ASX: NAB ) down 0.3% and Commonwealth Bank Of Australia (ASX: CBA ) falling 0.7%.
Information Technology bucked the trend, lifting 1% overall as Appen Ltd (ASX: APX ) popped 29.2% and was placed in a trading halt after receiving a $1.2 billion takeover offer from Canadian business Telus International.
In New Zealand, the NZX 50 added 0.3% to 11,204.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.