Australian Shares Finish 1.8% Lower, Entering Correction Territory
By Oliver Gray
Investing.com - The S&P/ASX 200 lost 123.30 points or 1.77% to 6,838.30 during Thursday’s trade, touching fresh 9-month lows and falling 10.4% from its August highs as plans for interest rate hikes at the U.S. Federal Reserve sapped risk sentiment and stoked a surge in bond yields.
Among stocks, the Technology sector tanked 5%, with Appen Ltd (ASX: APX ) down 4.79%, Megaport Ltd (ASX: MP1 ) falling 9.46%, Novonix Ltd (ASX: NVX ) tumbling 11.18%, Brainchip Holdings Ltd (ASX: BRN ) down 14.51%, Block Inc (ASX: SQ2 ) dropping 7.94%, Xero Ltd (ASX: XRO ) falling 6.69%, Codan Ltd (ASX: CDA ) diving 10.22% and Wisetech Global Ltd (ASX: WTC ) down 15.41%.
Financials suffered losses, with Macquarie Group Ltd (ASX: MQG ) falling 3.85%, Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Ltd (ASX: ANZ ) losing 1.92%, Commonwealth Bank Of Australia (ASX: CBA ) down 1.75%, National Australia Bank Ltd (ASX: NAB ) falling 0.37% and Westpac Banking Corp (ASX: WBC ) losing 0.25%.
Materials stocks closed lower overall, as Fortescue Metals Group Ltd (ASX: FMG ) slipped 0.1%, Pilbara Minerals Ltd (ASX: PLS ) lost 2.77%, Arizona Lithium Ltd (ASX: AZL ) dropped 15.62%, Lynas Rare Earths Ltd (ASX: LYC ) fell 6.35% and OZ Minerals Ltd (ASX: OZL ) lost 2.89%. Meantime, Rio Tinto Ltd (ASX: RIO ) gained 2.82%, BHP Billiton Ltd (ASX: BHP ) added 1.42%, Champion Iron Ltd (ASX: CIA ) gained 2.46%, Lake Resources NL (ASX: LKE ) gained 3.59%, Magnis Resources Ltd (ASX: MNS ) lifted 2.17% and Avz Minerals Ltd (ASX: AVZ ) added 0.76%.
Energy stocks bucked the trend, gaining around 2.1% as Woodside Petroleum Ltd (ASX: WPL ) added 2.49%, Santos Ltd (ASX: STO ) lifted 3.57% and Beach Energy Ltd (ASX: BPT ) added 8.81%.
On the bond markets, Australia 10-Year yields were near fresh 3-year highs of 2.013% while United States 10-Year rates were at 1.848%.
In New Zealand, the NZX 50 fell 1.11% to 12,050.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or