By Oliver Gray
Major banks closed higher, with Macquarie Group Ltd (ASX: MQG ) up 0.6%, Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Ltd (ASX: ANZ ) adding 3%, Commonwealth Bank Of Australia (ASX: CBA ) up 4%, National Australia Bank Ltd (ASX: NAB ) lifting 3.4% and Westpac Banking Corp (ASX: WBC ) up 2.3%.
Information Technology gained 2.4% collectively, with Block Inc (ASX: SQ2 ) up 5.5%, Appen Ltd (ASX: APX ) adding 2.4%, Megaport Ltd (ASX: MP1 ) up 9.1% and Link Administration Holdings Ltd (ASX: LNK ) adding 4.1%.
Consumer Discretionary finished 2.2% higher with JB Hi-Fi Ltd (ASX: JBH ) up 2.9%, Domino's Pizza Enterprises Ltd (ASX: DMP ) adding 5.2%, Tabcorp Holdings Ltd (ASX: TAH ) up 1.9%, Aristocrat Leisure Ltd (ASX: ALL ) gaining 3.8% and Wesfarmers Ltd (ASX: WES ) up 0.8%.
Materials added 1.8%, with Rio Tinto Ltd (ASX: RIO ) up 2.4%, BHP Billiton Ltd (ASX: BHP ) adding 3%, Fortescue Metals Group Ltd (ASX: FMG ) up 3.5% and Champion Iron Ltd (ASX: CIA ) gaining 4.1% while lithium miners extended their recovery as Lake Resources NL (ASX: LKE ) gained 7.5%, Lynas Rare Earths Ltd (ASX: LYC ) added 5.5% and Liontown Resources Ltd (ASX: LTR ) lifted 11.3%.
Meantime, several gold miners tanked after Evolution Mining Ltd (ASX: EVN ) downgraded its production guidance. The company shed 21.9%, while Northern Star Resources Ltd (ASX: NST ) lost 12.1% and Newcrest Mining Ltd (ASX: NCM ) fell 5.6%.
In New Zealand, the NZX 50 added 1.7% to 10,998.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.