By Oliver Gray
Investing.com - The S&P/ASX 200 added 13.1 points or 0.17% to 7503 on Tuesday, extending gains of 0.39% in the previous session as market participants proved optimistic following news that the Pfizer (NYSE: PFE ) vaccine received full approval from regulators in the U.S., while local corporate earnings continue to roll in.
In local coronavirus news, New South Wales tallied 753 fresh cases today as health authorities reported that the state had hit its target of 6 million vaccine doses administered, while the ACT added a record 30 fresh cases with 11 infectious among the community. Meantime, Victoria added 50 local transmissions amid a fresh outbreak at a regional school and Queensland reported 2 locally acquired cases.
Among stocks, week three of earnings season continues with Nanosonics Ltd (ASX: NAN ) surged 20.54% after the company reported results while Uniti Wireless Ltd (ASX: UWL ) also surged 6.7% after results . Meantime, comments from Prime Minister Scott Morrison about re-opening the economy as vaccination rates surge lifted travel stocks. Flight Centre Ltd (ASX: FLT ) added 6.38% to 3-week highs, Webjet Ltd (ASX: WEB ) lifted 6.48% to a four-week high and Qantas Airways Ltd (ASX: QAN ) is up 5.48% to four-week highs.
In New Zealand, the NZX 50 added 7.79 points or 0.06%, trading near 8-months highs of 13071.86.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.