By Oliver Gray
Investing.com - The S&P/ASX 200 was down just 1.30 points to 7,345.70 during after the first hour of Tuesday’s trade as investors brace for a possible interest rate rise by the Reserve Bank later today following a volatile session on Wall Street overnight ahead of the U.S. Federal Reserve meeting to consider its next move on interest rates.
ASX 200 Futures were pointing 0.2% higher.
Among stocks, Financial companies were down 0.3% collectively as Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Ltd (ASX: ANZ ) lost 0.7%, National Australia Bank Ltd (ASX: NAB ) dipped 1%, Westpac Banking Corp (ASX: WBC ) lost 0.3% and Commonwealth Bank Of Australia (ASX: CBA ) fell 1%.
Real estate companies decreased 0.2% overall as Mirvac Group (ASX: MGR ) lost 2.1%, Charter Hall Group (ASX: CHC ) fell 1%, Goodman Group (ASX: GMG ) dipped 0.3% and Stockland Corporation Ltd (ASX: SGP ) declined 1.5%.
However, the Technology sector bucked the trend, up 2.1% as Block Inc (ASX: SQ2 ) gained 5%, Appen Ltd (ASX: APX ) lifted 5.5%, Megaport Ltd (ASX: MP1 ) gained 3.7%, Link Administration Holdings Ltd (ASX: LNK ) lifted 1.2%, Novonix Ltd (ASX: NVX ) added 3.2% and Brainchip Holdings Ltd (ASX: BRN ) gained 3.8%.
Inghams Group Ltd (ASX: ING ) declined 5% as the company noted a slower than expected recovery due to ongoing pandemic and weather events.
Meantime, In a message to shareholders on Tuesday morning announcing the business’ third-quarter trading results, Woolworths Ltd (ASX: WOW ) chief executive Brad Banducci called for an increase in retail workers’ wages to combat increasing inflation pressures across the industry.
In New Zealand, the NZX 50 declined 0.1% to 11,772.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.