By Oliver Gray
Investing.com - The S&P/ASX 200 traded mixed around the 7,460 level in Monday’s early trade, as higher precious metal prices boosted gold miners, while reopening optimism and Sydney Airport’s takeover announcement saw airline stocks move higher.
ASX 200 Futures futures were 0.15% lower.
Mining Heavyweights also traded higher despite a dip in iron ore prices on Friday, with Rio Tinto Ltd (ASX: RIO ), BHP Billiton Ltd (ASX: BHP ), and Fortescue Metals Group Ltd (ASX: FMG ) adding 0.98%, 1.5% and 0.77% respectively. Gold miners also gained as prices rose, with Evolution Mining Ltd (ASX: EVN ) adding 5.65% and St Barbara Ltd (ASX: SBM ) moving 6.41% higher. Meantime, Sydney Airport Holdings Ltd (ASX: SYD ) gained 2.55% after announcing that it has accepted an $A32 billion takeover bid. Qantas Airways Ltd (ASX: QAN ) was up 3.38%, Flight Centre Ltd (ASX: FLT ) added 3.5% and Webjet Ltd (ASX: WEB ) added 2.54%. Energy companies also moved higher amid stronger crude oil prices, with Santos Ltd (ASX: STO ) adding 2.05%, Oil Search Ltd (ASX: OSH ) up 1.3%, Woodside Petroleum Ltd (ASX: WPL ) gaining 1.77% and Beach Energy Ltd (ASX: BPT ) up 2.34%.
In New Zealand, the NZX 50 was up just 0.06% to 13084.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.