By Oliver Gray
Investing.com - The S&P/ASX 200 added 0.9% to 7,159.5 after the first hour of Wednesday’s trade, snapping two sessions of consecutive losses after Reserve Bank of Australia delivered an outsized rate hike of 50 basis points yesterday, dampening risk sentiment in a bid to quell hotter than expected inflation.
ASX 200 Futures were just 0.1% higher.
Industrials lifted 2.8% overall as Atlas Arteria (ASX: ALX ) surged 15.6% after confirming reports that IFM Investors purchased a 15% stake in the group. Reece Ltd (ASX: REH ) dipped 0.2%, Brambles Ltd (ASX: BXB ) gained 0.4% and Transurban Group (ASX: TCL ) added 2.4%.
Among stocks, Materials companies were boosted amid firming Iron ore prices. Rio Tinto Ltd (ASX: RIO ) added 2%, BHP Billiton Ltd (ASX: BHP ) gained 2.8%, Fortescue Metals Group Ltd (ASX: FMG ) lifted 1.2%, Champion Iron Ltd (ASX: CIA ) gained 3.8% while Arizona Lithium Ltd (ASX: AZL ) and Lake Resources NL (ASX: LKE ) lifted 4% and 2.1% respectively.
Financials were 1.3% lower collectively as Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Ltd (ASX: ANZ ) fell 1.2%, National Australia Bank Ltd (ASX: NAB ) lost 2%, Westpac Banking Corp (ASX: WBC ) dipped 2.9% and Commonwealth Bank Of Australia (ASX: CBA ) lost 1.5%.
In New Zealand, the NZX 50 added 0.1% to 11,273.4.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.