By Oliver Gray
Investing.com - The S&P/ASX 200 added 31.50 points or 0.43% to 7,418.60 in Friday’s trade, trading at fresh 9-week highs and extending gains for the third consecutive session as investors tracked a strong finish on Wall Street overnight, while firmer metal prices boosted mining companies.
ASX 200 Futures were trading flat at 7385.5.
Among stocks, Materials were around 1.1% higher, as Rio Tinto Ltd (ASX: RIO ) added 0.7%, BHP Billiton Ltd (ASX: BHP ) gained 0.9%, Fortescue Metals Group Ltd (ASX: FMG ) lifted 0.7%, Champion Iron Ltd (ASX: CIA ) added 1.7%, Magnis Resources Ltd (ASX: MNS ) gained 1%, Lake Resources NL (ASX: LKE ) added 2%, Avz Minerals Ltd (ASX: AVZ ) lifted 4.1%, Piedmont Lithium Ltd (ASX: PLL ) rallied 9.2%, Lynas Rare Earths Ltd (ASX: LYC ) gained 2.3% and Pilbara Minerals Ltd (ASX: PLS ) lifted 3.4%
Gold miners were broadly higher. St Barbara Ltd (ASX: SBM ) gained 1.5%, Gold Road Resources Ltd (ASX: GOR ) added 0.3%, Newcrest Mining Ltd (ASX: NCM ) lifted 2.4%, Northern Star Resources Ltd (ASX: NST ) added 0.8%, Evolution Mining Ltd (ASX: EVN ) lifted 0.9% and Chalice Gold Mines Ltd (ASX: CHN ) added 1.5%.
Financials added 0.3% overall, with, Macquarie Group Ltd (ASX: MQG ) up 1.2%, Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Ltd (ASX: ANZ ) lifting 0.3% and Commonwealth Bank Of Australia (ASX: CBA ) up 0.1% while National Australia Bank Ltd (ASX: NAB ) remained flat at 31.79 and Westpac Banking Corp (ASX: WBC ) dipped 0.1%
Energy companies were also lifting, up 0.3% collectively, as Woodside Petroleum Ltd (ASX: WPL ) added 0.6%, Santos Ltd (ASX: STO ) gained 0.4%, Beach Energy Ltd (ASX: BPT ) added 0.3% and Viva Energy Group Ltd (ASX: VEA ) lifted 0.9%.
In new Zealand, the NZX 50 dipped 0.1% to 12,006.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.