By Samuel Indyk
Investing.com – The price of Bitcoin was approaching $40,000 early on Monday morning after a weekend rally saw the world’s largest cryptocurrency jump around 20%.
Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN ) to accept crypto payments?
One of the catalysts for the move higher appears to be stemming from a job advertisement placed by internet giant Amazon for a Digital Currency and Blockchain Product Lead. The advert says Amazon is looking for an “experienced product leader to develop Amazon’s digital currency and blockchain strategy and product roadmap”.
The advert caused great excitement in the industry on hopes that Amazon might soon begin accepting cryptocurrencies, including Bitcoin, as payment on its e-commerce site.
London-based newspaper City AM appeared to confirm the news on Monday morning. According to an "insider", this is not a first step into setting up cryptocurrency payments at “some point in the future” but is a “full-on, well-discussed, integral part of the future mechanism of how Amazon will work”.
“The entire project is ready to roll,” the "insider" told City AM.
And it is not just Bitcoin that Amazon is reportedly looking to accept as payment. The source said that Ethereum , Cardano and Bitcoin Cash will be next, before the bring “about eight of the most popular cryptocurrencies online”.
On a technical basis, Bitcoin has broken back above the 21DMA (around $33,000) and the 50DMA (around $34,350).
The next key level of resistance is the psychological $40,000 level before the 100DMA which comes in around $40,800.
Above that, the 200DMA could also act as resistance at around $44,700.
The technical chart pattern has led some analysts to call for further gains, with $50,000 potentially coming back into focus.
“Bitcoin has broken out of its three-month descending triangle at $34,300 and suggests we could have another $17,000 of gains, taking us to $51,000, or thereabouts,” said OANDA Senior Market Analyst Jeffrey Halley.
However, Halley does pinpoint the aforementioned 100 and 200DMAs as levels to get through first before a big push higher.
At 08:55BST Bitcoin was trading around $38,225, up 13.0% in the last 24 hours.
Other major cryptocurrencies were also trading higher. Ethereum was up by around 8% at around $2,330, Cardano was up 11% at around $1.35 and Dogecoin was up 13% at $0.22.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.