Shares of Broadcom Inc. (NASDAQ: AVGO ) saw a 0.4% increase in premarket trading today after the German Federal Patent Court preliminarily validated the company's `366 Patent related to HEVC/H.265 video coding, a technology crucial for Ultra HD content delivery by streaming services. This decision follows a judgment by the Munich District Court on September 19, 2023, that declared Netflix (NASDAQ: NFLX ) had infringed this patent and issued an injunction against further infringement in Germany.
In response to Netflix's non-compliance with the injunction, Broadcom has invoked Section 890 of the German Civil Procedure Code, seeking penalties that could lead to a €250,000 fine per infringement or six month’s imprisonment for board members. Mark Terrano, Broadcom's VP and GM of the Intellectual Property and Licensing Division, praised the German court's recognition of their patented contributions to video technology.
Interestingly, despite being embroiled in this legal dispute, Netflix also experienced a 0.4% rise in premarket stock today. Meanwhile, S&P 500 futures gained 0.5%.
This development is part of an ongoing patent dispute between Broadcom and Netflix that spans U.S., German, and Dutch jurisdictions since 2018. The final decision on Netflix’s invalidity lawsuit is still pending, with a hearing scheduled for July 18, 2024.
Broadcom Inc. ( NASDAQ : AVGO) has been showing some promising metrics according to InvestingPro. The company’s high earnings quality, with free cash flow exceeding net income, and the consistent increase in earnings per share are notable. The company has also raised its dividend for 13 consecutive years, which is a testament to its financial health. The InvestingPro data for Broadcom also reveals a P/E Ratio of 26.26, a revenue growth of 11.91% over the last twelve months as of Q3 2023, and a 1-year price total return of 101.4%.
On the other hand, Netflix (NASDAQ: NFLX) is also performing well, despite the ongoing patent dispute. Netflix yields a high return on invested capital and has seen 14 analysts revise their earnings upwards for the upcoming period. The InvestingPro data for Netflix presents a P/E Ratio of 41.83, an impressive revenue growth of 4.03% over the last twelve months as of Q3 2023, and a 1-year price total return of 57.85%.
These InvestingPro Tips and data points provide valuable insights for investors interested in these companies. For a comprehensive list of InvestingPro Tips, consider subscribing to InvestingPro for more detailed insights and real-time data.
This article was generated with the support of AI and reviewed by an editor. For more information see our T&C.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.