BTIG analysts downgraded Upwork (NASDAQ: UPWK ) stock to Neutral from Buy as they believe the valuation is now more balanced.
The move comes after BTIG identified UPWK “as one of our top picks entering 2023 as we believed shares had overshot to the downside after a very tough 2022.”
“We saw underappreciated catalysts in take-rate growth and margin expansion from tighter expense management. Those catalysts have played out with UPWK making a take rate-accretive changes to the commission structure earlier this year as well slashing its FY23 brand marketing spend,” the analysts wrote in a client note.
However, they have made a rating revision after the stock rose more than 40% year-to-date.
“While there are arguments for why we think UPWK should enjoy a premium valuation such as its number one position in the space and longer runway for take-rate expansion, we believe UPWK's valuation adequately reflects those positives and risk-reward is now balanced,” they concluded.
Shares are down over 2% in pre-open trading.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.