Warren Buffett, who has been at the helm of Berkshire Hathaway (NYSE: BRKa ) since 1965, has recently shown a significant interest in energy firm Occidental Petroleum (NYSE: NYSE: OXY ). As per the Form 13F filings with the SEC, between January 2022 and October 2023, Berkshire acquired a substantial 228 million-share stake in the company. The move reflects Buffett's anticipation of persistent high crude oil prices due to the ongoing war between Russia and Ukraine and reduced capital expenditure amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
The investment in Occidental Petroleum is in addition to Buffett's consistent investment in tech giant Apple ( NASDAQ : NASDAQ: AAPL ), which makes up nearly half of Berkshire Hathaway's $343 billion invested assets. Buffett praises Apple as superior to any other business they own.
However, it is noteworthy that Buffett's most favored investment remains his own company. Following the simplification of the share buyback process on July 17, 2018, he has dedicated over $72 billion to repurchase Berkshire Hathaway shares. This strategy increases the Earnings Per Share (EPS) over time by reducing outstanding shares, enhancing the stock's appeal to long-term investors.
Under Buffett's leadership, Berkshire Hathaway has achieved an aggregate return of 4,300,000% in its Class A shares (BRK.A) since 1965. His investment strategies continue to be closely watched by investors worldwide.
This article was generated with the support of AI and reviewed by an editor. For more information see our T&C.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.