At the close in Toronto, the S&P/TSX Composite gained 0.25%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/TSX Composite were Lithium Americas Corp (TSX: LAC ), which rose 16.40% or 6.04 points to trade at 42.86 at the close. Energy Fuels Inc. (TSX: EFR ) added 12.32% or 1.190 points to end at 10.850 and Centerra Gold Inc (TSX: CG ) was up 11.28% or 1.10 points to 10.85 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Shopify Inc (TSX: SHOP ), which lost 10.31% or 179.53 points to trade at 1562.16 in late trade. Descartes Systems Group Inc (TSX: DSG ) declined 6.84% or 7.16 points to end at 97.46 and MTY Food Group Inc (TSX: MTY ) shed 5.75% or 3.64 points to 59.64.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 571 to 492 and 87 ended unchanged on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
The S&P/TSX 60 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/TSX Composite options, was down 6.65% to 17.13.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 0.81% or 14.55 to $1814.65 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in February rose 1.46% or 1.11 to hit $77.19 a barrel, while the March Brent oil contract rose 1.47% or 1.16 to trade at $80.14 a barrel.
CAD/USD was up 0.32% to 0.7871, while CAD/EUR rose 0.44% to 0.6976.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.09% at 96.295.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.