Canada shares higher at close of trade; S&P/TSX Composite up 0.56%
Investing.com – Canada equities were higher at the close on Wednesday, as gains in the Energy , Materials and IT sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in Toronto, the S&P/TSX Composite gained 0.56%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/TSX Composite were Ero Copper Corp (TSX: ERO ), which rose 7.45% or 1.38 points to trade at 19.90 at the close. Teck Resources Ltd B (TSX: TECKb ) added 7.14% or 3.62 points to end at 54.35 and Energy Fuels Inc. (TSX: EFR ) was up 7.12% or 0.90 points to 13.54 in late trade.
Biggest losers included TransAlta Renewables Inc. (TSX: RNW ), which lost 3.32% or 0.64 points to trade at 18.62 in late trade. North West Company Inc (TSX: NWC ) declined 2.41% or 0.95 points to end at 38.54 and Waste Connections Inc (TSX: WCN ) shed 1.84% or 3.29 points to 175.69.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 686 to 338 and 128 ended unchanged on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
The S&P/TSX 60 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/TSX Composite options, was down 4.68% to 10.38.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 0.10% or 1.90 to $1,978.00 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May rose 3.72% or 3.74 to hit $104.34 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract rose 4.09% or 4.28 to trade at $108.92 a barrel.
CAD/USD was unchanged 0.59% to 0.80, while CAD/EUR unchanged 0.06% to 0.73.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.39% at 99.90.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or