Canada shares higher at close of trade; S&P/TSX Composite up 1.15%
Investing.com – Canada equities were higher at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the Healthcare , Energy and Consumer Discretionary sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in Toronto, the S&P/TSX Composite rose 1.15% to hit a new 6-month high.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/TSX Composite were Aurora Cannabis Inc (TSX: ACB ), which rose 25.24% or 2.370 points to trade at 11.760 at the close. Air Canada (TSX: AC ) added 10.05% or 2.18 points to end at 23.87 and Canopy Growth Corp (TSX: WEED ) was up 8.20% or 2.650 points to 34.960 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Silvercorp Metals Inc (TSX: SVM ), which lost 13.26% or 1.15 points to trade at 7.52 in late trade. Ballard Power Systems Inc (TSX: BLDP ) declined 9.21% or 2.60 points to end at 25.62 and Alamos Gold Inc (TSX: AGI ) shed 4.37% or 0.47 points to 10.29.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 690 to 373 and 89 ended unchanged on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
The S&P/TSX 60 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/TSX Composite options, was unchanged 0% to 11.27.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 1.91% or 35.05 to $1802.75 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January rose 4.23% or 1.82 to hit $44.88 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract rose 3.67% or 1.69 to trade at $47.73 a barrel.
CAD/USD was up 0.48% to 0.7682, while CAD/EUR rose 0.17% to 0.6467.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.28% at 92.233.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or