Canada shares higher at close of trade; S&P/TSX Composite up 3.06%
Investing.com – Canada equities were higher at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the IT , Industrials and Healthcare sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in Toronto, the S&P/TSX Composite added 3.06%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/TSX Composite were Ballard Power Systems Inc (TSX: BLDP ), which rose 17.81% or 2.07 points to trade at 13.69 at the close. MEG Energy Corp (TSX: MEG ) added 16.53% or 0.41 points to end at 2.89 and Frontera Energy Corp (TSX: FEC ) was up 15.33% or 0.69 points to 5.19 in late trade.
Biggest losers included ShawCor Ltd . (TSX: SCL ), which lost 15.14% or 0.71 points to trade at 3.98 in late trade. Seven Generations Energy Ltd (TSX: VII ) declined 7.84% or 0.21 points to end at 2.47 and Inter Pipeline Ltd (TSX: IPL ) shed 5.54% or 0.79 points to 13.46.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 672 to 456 and 83 ended unchanged on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
The S&P/TSX 60 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/TSX Composite options, was unchanged 0.00% to 11.27.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 1.57% or 26.25 to $1649.45 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April rose 12.01% or 3.74 to hit $34.87 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract fell 0.42% or 0.16 to trade at $37.78 a barrel.
CAD/USD was up 0.08% to 0.7291, while CAD/EUR fell 0.03% to 0.6456.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 1.73% at 96.510.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or