At the close in Toronto, the S&P/TSX Composite lost 0.45%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/TSX Composite were OceanaGold Corporation (TSX: OGC ), which rose 7.60% or 0.155 points to trade at 2.195 at the close. Barrick Gold Corporation (TSX: ABX ) added 7.29% or 1.92 points to end at 28.25 and Birchcliff Energy Ltd . (TSX: BIR ) was up 3.98% or 0.260 points to 6.800 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Shopify Inc (TSX: SHOP ), which lost 18.68% or 211.57 points to trade at 921.05 in late trade. Boyd Group Income Fund (TSX: BYD ) declined 4.20% or 7.65 points to end at 174.47 and Converge Technology Solutions Corp (TSX: CTS ) shed 3.67% or 0.400 points to 10.500.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 551 to 462 and 111 ended unchanged on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
The S&P/TSX 60 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/TSX Composite options, was up 3.49% to 25.18.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 0.93% or 17.20 to $1873.40 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March fell 0.52% or 0.48 to hit $91.59 a barrel, while the April Brent oil contract fell 0.57% or 0.53 to trade at $92.75 a barrel.
CAD/USD was up 0.30% to 0.7884, while CAD/EUR rose 0.09% to 0.6927.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.26% at 95.745.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.