Canada shares lower at close of trade; S&P/TSX Composite down 0.54%
Investing.com – Canada equities were lower at the close on Friday, as losses in the Utilities , IT and Consumer Discretionary sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in Toronto, the S&P/TSX Composite lost 0.54% to hit a new 3-month low.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/TSX Composite were MEG Energy Corp (TSX: MEG ), which rose 7.05% or 0.16 points to trade at 2.43 at the close. Imperial Oil Ltd (TSX: IMO ) added 6.36% or 1.06 points to end at 17.72 and OceanaGold Corporation (TSX: OGC ) was up 4.82% or 0.080 points to 1.740 in late trade.
Biggest losers included SNC-Lavalin Group Inc . (TSX: SNC ), which lost 9.82% or 2.03 points to trade at 18.64 in late trade. Canadian Utilities Limited (TSX: CU ) declined 6.32% or 2.10 points to end at 31.14 and Canada Goose Holdings Inc (TSX: GOOS ) shed 6.17% or 2.73 points to 41.55.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 674 to 393 and 114 ended unchanged on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
The S&P/TSX 60 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/TSX Composite options, was unchanged 0% to 11.27.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.54% or 10.00 to $1878.00 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in December fell 1.52% or 0.55 to hit $35.62 a barrel, while the January Brent oil contract fell 1.28% or 0.49 to trade at $37.77 a barrel.
CAD/USD was up 0.07% to 0.7510, while CAD/EUR rose 0.34% to 0.6448.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.07% at 94.043.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or