At the close in Toronto, the S&P/TSX Composite lost 2.31%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/TSX Composite were Sleep Country Canada Holdings Inc (TSX: ZZZ ), which rose 8.49% or 2.13 points to trade at 27.22 at the close. Fortis Inc (TSX: FTS ) added 1.07% or 0.65 points to end at 61.66 and Canadian Utilities Limited (TSX: CU ) was up 0.92% or 0.35 points to 38.55 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Shopify Inc (TSX: SHOP ), which lost 14.34% or 88.67 points to trade at 529.63 in late trade. SNC-Lavalin Group Inc . (TSX: SNC ) declined 13.32% or 3.84 points to end at 24.99 and Dye & Durham Ltd (TSX: DND ) shed 10.33% or 2.13 points to 18.48.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 924 to 153 and 74 ended unchanged on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
The S&P/TSX 60 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/TSX Composite options, was up 10.00% to 25.75 a new 1-month high.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 0.57% or 10.59 to $1,879.39 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June rose 0.54% or 0.58 to hit $108.39 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract rose 0.76% or 0.84 to trade at $110.98 a barrel.
CAD/USD was down 0.77% to 0.78, while CAD/EUR unchanged 0.01% to 0.74.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.93% at 103.55.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.