Canada shares lower at close of trade; S&P/TSX Composite down 2.63%
Investing.com – Canada equities were lower at the close on Monday, as losses in the Healthcare , Materials and Clean Technology sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in Toronto, the S&P/TSX Composite declined 2.63% to hit a new 1-month low.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/TSX Composite were LifeWorks Inc (TSX: LWRK ), which rose 2.23% or 0.39 points to trade at 17.86 at the close. Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers Inc . (TSX: RBA ) added 1.49% or 1.14 points to end at 77.52 and Imperial Oil Ltd (TSX: IMO ) was up 1.17% or 0.81 points to 70.00 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Lightspeed Commerce Inc (TSX: LSPD ), which lost 14.39% or 4.36 points to trade at 25.93 in late trade. Canaccord Genuity Group Inc (TSX: CF ) declined 11.94% or 1.21 points to end at 8.92 and OceanaGold Corporation (TSX: OGC ) shed 11.61% or 0.36 points to 2.74.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1033 to 79 and 50 ended unchanged on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
The S&P/TSX 60 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/TSX Composite options, was up 15.50% to 22.50.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was down 2.88% or 53.95 to $1,821.55 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July rose 0.20% or 0.24 to hit $120.91 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract rose 0.13% or 0.16 to trade at $122.17 a barrel.
CAD/USD was down 0.85% to 0.78, while CAD/EUR unchanged 0.23% to 0.75.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 1.04% at 105.09.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or