Canada shares lower at close of trade; S&P/TSX Composite down 3.10%
Investing.com – Canada equities were lower at the close on Thursday, as losses in the Energy , Real Estate and REITs sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in Toronto, the S&P/TSX Composite declined 3.10% to hit a new 52-week low.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/TSX Composite were LifeWorks Inc (TSX: LWRK ), which rose 66.37% or 12.08 points to trade at 30.28 at the close. Agnico-Eagle Mines Ltd . (TSX: AEM ) added 4.92% or 3.12 points to end at 66.57 and K92 Mining Inc (TSX: KNT ) was up 4.47% or 0.39 points to 9.11 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Cargojet Inc (TSX: CJT ), which lost 19.27% or 27.88 points to trade at 116.82 in late trade. Nuvei Corp (TSX: NVEI ) declined 10.78% or 5.93 points to end at 49.09 and Celestica Inc. (TSX: CLS ) shed 9.50% or 1.30 points to 12.38.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 950 to 147 and 57 ended unchanged on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
The S&P/TSX 60 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/TSX Composite options, was up 8.73% to 24.03.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was up 2.07% or 37.75 to $1,857.35 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July rose 1.49% or 1.72 to hit $117.03 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract rose 0.62% or 0.74 to trade at $119.25 a barrel.
CAD/USD was unchanged 0.41% to 0.77, while CAD/EUR fell 1.37% to 0.73.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 1.25% at 103.62.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or