Canada shares lower at close of trade; S&P/TSX Composite down 5.12%
Investing.com – Canada equities were lower at the close on Friday, as losses in the Energy , Materials and IT sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in Toronto, the S&P/TSX Composite declined 5.12%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/TSX Composite were Aurora Cannabis Inc (TSX: ACB ), which rose 15.87% or 0.200 points to trade at 1.460 at the close. Dream Office Real Estate Investment Trust (TSX: D_u ) added 7.13% or 1.52 points to end at 22.85 and First Capital Realty Inc . (TSX: FCR_u ) was up 5.98% or 0.77 points to 13.64 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Pembina Pipeline Corp (TSX: PPL ), which lost 17.89% or 5.26 points to trade at 24.14 in late trade. Seven Generations Energy Ltd (TSX: VII ) declined 17.51% or 0.31 points to end at 1.46 and Enerflex Ltd . (TSX: EFX ) shed 17.32% or 1.06 points to 5.06.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 902 to 205 and 66 ended unchanged on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
The S&P/TSX 60 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/TSX Composite options, was unchanged 0% to 11.27.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 1.47% or 24.25 to $1626.95 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May fell 4.29% or 0.97 to hit $21.63 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract fell 6.11% or 1.61 to trade at $24.73 a barrel.
CAD/USD was up 0.22% to 0.7149, while CAD/EUR fell 0.69% to 0.6421.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 1.03% at 98.425.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or