China’s Geely, Renault ink investment deal with Saudi Aramco
By Ambar Warrick
Investing.com -- Chinese automaker Geely Automobile Holdings Ltd (HK: 0175 ) said on Thursday that it had entered into a preliminary agreement with Saudi Aramco (TADAWUL: 2222 ) regarding a potential investment from the oil and gas giant into a planned joint venture with Renault SA (EPA: RENA ).
Geely said it, Aramco and Renault had signed a non-binding letter of intent over the potential investment, which could see Aramco take a minority stake in a proposed joint venture between Renault and the Chinese automaker.
Geely and Renault will maintain equal equity stakes in the venture, with Aramco expected to take a minority stake. The letter of intent entails a three-month exclusivity period, and will expire in September.
Geely had announced the potential joint venture with Renault in late-2022, which is intended to build and supply combustion and hybrid engines. The venture also intends to develop more efficient gasoline engines, amid growing global consciousness of emissions and a shift towards electric vehicles.
The planned company is intended to be a standalone supplier with a combined capacity of over five million combustion, hybrid, and plug-in engines per year, the companies said in a statement.
Reuters had reported in January that the two were also courting Aramco as a potential investor. Renault CEO Luca de Meo said on Thursday that the new venture plans to leverage Aramco's knowledge to help develop "breakthrough" technology in synthetic fuels and hydrogen.
The venture comes amid an ongoing restructuring in Renault, as the European automaker looks to pivot largely into electric vehicles, following similar forays by its peers.
For Geely, the deal represents its second major alliance with a European automaker. The firm had previously announced a deal with Mercedes Benz (ETR: MBGn ) to develop hybrid gasoline engines, and is also a stakeholder in the German carmaker.
Geely’s shares fell 1.5%, tracking a 0.8% drop in Hong Kong’s Hang Seng index .
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or