Deals of the day-Mergers and acquisitions
(Updates Sanofi; Adds Diageo , Amazon, American Express (NYSE: AXP ), Friedkin)
Aug 17 (Reuters) - The following bids, mergers, acquisitions and disposals were reported by 1900 GMT on Monday:
** South African food producer Tiger Brands TBSJ.J will sell its processed meats business through two separate deals for a combined 428 million rand, it said. Sanofi's SASY.PA Chief Executive Paul Hudson is dipping into coffers filled by recent disposals to buy U.S.-based Principia Biopharma Inc PRNB.O for $3.7 billion as he fills his medicine cabinet with speciality drug prospects from smaller companies. Hong Kong-based buyout firm Baring Private Equity Asia (BPEA) made a counter offer for Japanese nursing home operator Nichiigakkan Co Ltd 9792.T , which has agreed to be bought by Bain Capital in a deal valuing it at $1.2 billion. India's Reliance Industries Ltd RELI.NS is in talks to buy online furniture retailer Urban Ladder and milk delivery firm Milkbasket to strengthen its e-commerce business, the Times of India newspaper reported. Australia's Ampol Ltd ALD.AX said it would sell a 49% stake in a property trust that owns convenience stores to Singaporean sovereign wealth fund GIC GIC.UL and Charter Hall Group CHC.AX for A$682 million. Brazilian software company Totvs SA TOTS3.SA bid 6.1 billion reais to acquire rival Linx SA LINX3.SA , challenging a controversial takeover deal struck with payment processor StoneCo Ltd STNE.O earlier this week. Starboard Value said that it sold nearly three-quarters of its stake in eBay Inc EBAY.O during the second quarter when the activist investment firm also ended its proxy fight at the ecommerce company. Diageo DGE.L is paying up to $610 million for Aviation American Gin, co-owned by Hollywood actor Ryan Reynolds, and a clutch of other spirits brands, adding to a gin portfolio which already includes Tanqueray and Gordon's. Amazon.com Inc AMZN.O is in preliminary talks to invest in U.S. cloud services provider Rackspace Technology Inc RXT.O , people familiar with the discussion said. American Express AXP.N said it would buy fintech lender and platform Kabbage in a move aimed at bolstering its cash management offering to small businesses. The Friedkin Group are the new owners of AS Roma, the Serie A side announced, two weeks after U.S. billionaire Dan Friedkin signed a deal worth more than $700 million to purchase the Italian club.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or