Deutsche Post DHL flags drop in 2023 income amid economic headwinds
By Scott Kanowsky
Investing.com -- Deutsche Post DHL (ETR: DPWGn ) flagged that it expects to report a decline in profit in 2023, as the German logistics company warned of challenges stemming from an uncertain economic environment.
The group laid out three scenarios for earnings before interest and taxes during the 12-month period that ranged between €6.0 billion and €7.0B billion. Any of these returns would be a decrease from its record-high 2022 operating income of €8.4B.
"The 2023 financial year should initially be characterised by economic headwinds: for the development of [business-to-business] volumes, at least in the first half of the year, this should mean a continuation of the weak trend from the fourth quarter of 2022," the company said in a statement.
Income declined by 13% in the final three months of last year due in part to a drop in key air freight volumes and an inflation-related slowdown in consumer spending during the Christmas holiday season. Deutsche Post noted that this customer caution caused by the elevated prices will also impact the development of business-to-consumer volumes throughout 2023.
Analysts at Citi said they now see a mid-single-digit percentage decline to consensus expectations for pre-tax and interest earnings in the current year.
Shares in Deutsche Post edged lower in early European trading on Thursday.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or