By Oliver Gray
Investing.com - Dow futures were trading higher during Wednesday’s evening deals, after major benchmark averages finished slightly higher during regular trading as investors digested quarterly earnings results from mega-cap names.
In extended deals, Meta Platforms Inc (NASDAQ: FB ) popped 18.3% after reporting results , with EPS coming in at $2.72 versus $2.56 expected while revenues were at $27.91 billion versus $28.2 billion expected. Daily active users on Facebook also beat analyst expectations.
PayPal Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: PYPL ) gained 3.2% after reporting Q1 results, with EPS of $0.88 and revenue of $6.5 billion, both in line with the consensus estimates. The company also slashed revenue and earnings per share guidance for the full year and issued weak guidance for the second quarter.
Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM ) rose 5% after hours following better than expected earnings , driven in part by Android phone chip sales. The company reported adjusted revenue of $3.21 per share versus $2.91 expected, while revenues came in at $11.16 billion versus $10.6 billion expected.
Pinterest Inc (NYSE: PINS ) surged more than 11% in extended trading after reporting a beat on the top and bottom lines in the recent quarter. EPS came in at 10 cents versus 4 cents expected, on revenues of $575 million versus $573 million expected. Monthly active users fell 9% year-over-year to 433 million.
Investors are looking ahead to big tech earnings on Thursday from Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), Amazon.com Inc (NASDAQ: AMZN ) and Twitter Inc (NYSE: TWTR ), along with results from Robinhood Markets Inc (NASDAQ: HOOD ). On the economic front, jobless claims data will also be closely monitored.
During Wednesday’s regular deals, the Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 61.75 points or 0.2% to 33,301.93, the S&P 500 advanced 0.2% to 4,183.96 and the NASDAQ Composite finished little changed at 12,488.93.
Among stocks, Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) rose 4.8% after strong earnings results. Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ) added 6.5% after the company’s quarterly results topped analyst estimates on the top and bottom lines. Solar company Enphase Energy Inc (NASDAQ: ENPH ) also surged 7.7% after an earnings beat. On the downside, Alphabet Inc (NASDAQ: GOOGL ) fell 3.6% after earnings results missed analysts expectations, while Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) dropped 7.5% after an earnings miss.
On the bond markets, United States 10-Year yields eased to 2.826%.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.