UK Stocks-Factors to watch on May 16
May 16 (Reuters) - Britain's FTSE 100
index is seen opening down 13
points at 6,125 on Monday, according to financial bookmakers. For more on the
factors affecting European stocks, please click on The UK blue chip index closed up 0.6 percent at 6,138.50 on Friday, as
robust U.S. retail data gave a boost to European markets, though shares in
Inmarsat ISA.L and Coca-Cola HBC CCH.L fell.
* SHELL: Argentina has agreed to pay $217 million to two companies,
including BG Group (LON: BG ), now owned by Royal Dutch Shell RDSa.L , in long-standing
arbitration cases stemming from its 2001/02 economic crisis, part of the
center-right government's efforts to lure back foreign investors.
*G4S: G4S (CO: G4S ) Plc GFS.L is in talks with lenders in six European countries,
including the UK, over opening mobile or high street banking units, its European
head told the Financial Times, as the world's largest security firm attempts to
rebuild its business by moving into a space many lenders are vacating.
* UK ECONOMY: The Confederation of British Industry cut its economic growth
forecasts, citing the approach of the European Union referendum, and retailers
and pay experts also pointed to a subdued outlook in other reports published on
* UK BREXIT: Bank of England Governor Mark Carney denied on Sunday that he
had compromised the central bank's independence by warning of the short-run
costs of leaving the European Union, after criticism from "Out" campaigners.
* UK REFERENDUM POLL: Prime Minister David Cameron is struggling to convince
voters he is telling the truth about why Britain should stay in the European
Union and his main "Out" rival Boris Johnson is doing a better job, an opinion
* OIL: Oil prices jumped over 1 percent on Monday after long-time bear
Goldman Sachs (NYSE: GS ) said the market had ended almost two years of oversupply following
global oil disruptions and flipped to a deficit. O/R
* UK CORPORATE DIARY:
Half Year 2016 Lonmin PLC
British Land Company BLND.L Full Year 2016 British Land
PLC Company PLC Earnings Release
ICAP PLC IAP.L Full Year 2016 ICAP PLC
Victrex PLC VCTX.L Half Year 2016 Victrex PLC
Braemar Shipping BRMS.L Full Year 2016 Braemar Shipping
Services PLC Services PLC Earnings Release
TODAY'S UK PAPERS
> Financial Times PRESS/FT
> Other business headlines PRESS/GB
Multimedia versions of Reuters Top News are now available for:
* 3000 Xtra : visit http://topnews.session.rservices.com
* BridgeStation: view story .134
For more information on Top News visit
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or