(For a Reuters live blog on U.S., UK and European stock markets, click LIVE/ or type LIVE/ in a news window)
* FTSE 100 up 0.8%, FTSE 250 adds 0.1%
Jan 7 (Reuters) - London's FTSE 100 jumped on Thursday as energy stocks tracked strong gains in crude prices, while investor confidence was further bolstered by hopes of a bigger U.S. stimulus package under a Democrat administration.
The supermarket owner gained 5.3% after it raised its full-year profit forecast as it benefited from COVID-19 restrictions that forced people to stay at home. risk assets gained in anticipation of big borrowing and big spending under the Democrat administration which would help support economic growth at a time the coronavirus crisis continues to ravage several businesses globally. MKTS/GLOB
London-listed shares of Europe's largest low-cost carrier Ryanair RYA.L dropped 1.0% after it slashed its annual traffic forecast due to fresh lockdowns in the United Kingdom and Ireland.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.